8 Important Rules To Help Ensure Data Protection
- Obtain and process information fairly
- Keep it only for one or more specified, explicit and lawful purposes
- Use and disclose it only in ways compatible with these purposes
- Keep it safe and secure
- Keep it accurate, complete and up-to-date
- Ensure that it is adequate, relevant and not excessive
- Retain it for no longer than is necessary for the purpose or purposes
- Give a copy of his/her personal data to an individual, on request”
“According to the results of our National Data Protection Survey – more than half of Irish companies say that they have suffered a data breach in the last 12 months.
The results also show that data breaches, hacking attacks and employee negligence have all risen in the last year in Irish organisations.
- One in three Irish companies have no corporate data breach policy and almost half are poorly trained for data breaches.
- Only two in five Irish firms have any internal sanctions for non-compliance with data protection rules.
- Most Irish companies have no guidelines on transferring data outside the country.
The survey has shown that Irish companies’ biggest threat continues to be “negligent employees”, with one in five singling out inept staff as the biggest issue they face in keeping sensitive data secure.
14% claimed hackers are the second biggest threat, while 12% said that staff losing unsecured phones, laptops or USB keys would be the third biggest threat.
Two out of three companies claimed to have implemented data breach policies in some or all aspects of their business even though one third of employees say they are not adequately familiar with them.
Data Protection training and awareness programs are the best way to improve the acknowledgement of best practice in the area.
To ensure your organisation doesn’t fall victim to a data breach, ensure your staff are trained on the subject.”
For more information on Data Security and data protection, email on of our staff at:
Specialising in secure confidential document shredding services with a reputation for exceptional security, customer service. Delivering value for money and the utilisation of leading technology compliant to the highest security standards within the industry.